52°North Project Names

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

52°North Project Names

Arne H. Bröring
Hi everyone,

Several times in the past, we came across the confusion with the naming of our different projects. Some (or most) of our projects are named after the implemented standard (e.g. 52°North "SOS", "SES", or "SPS") or they directly describe their core functionality (e.g. "Sensor Web Client", or "WPS Client uDig"). Especially using the standard name within the project name can cause quite some confusion (e.g.: A: "...we are using SOS 4.0." - B: "what? there is again another SOS spec?"). Also, if we look at other open source initiatives, we see that projects have a brand name (e.g., "Apache Tomcat" isn't called "Apache Servlet Container").

On the other hand, our projects have been named the way they are since their beginnings (which is quite some time by now) and I'm not sure how eager the communities are for labelling them with more catchy names. I believe we should at least have a discussion about it.
So, please tell us your opinion and also your creative name proposals are very welcome!

Cheers,
Arne

PS:
First proposals for SOS:
"52°North TEMPORIO" 
"52°North ICELAND" that's Simon's take ;-)
"52°North LUCY" that's Albert's take and refers to our office dog :-)
...cool would be also a common prefix among all project (á la Arc* or i*)...

--
Dr. Arne Bröring

52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH

Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Muenster, Germany


Phone: +49 251 396 371 32
Fax: +49 251 396371-11


_______________________________________________
Security mailing list
[hidden email]
http://list.52north.org/mailman/listinfo/security
http://security.forum.52north.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [52N SWE] 52°North Project Names

Ann Hitchcock
Hi Daniel,

+1 for the idea of the islands. Can we come up with enough to cover our
projects?

Cheers,
Ann

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] Im Auftrag von
Daniel Nüst
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2013 15:12
An: Sensor Web developer communication
Cc: "Arne H. Bröring"; [hidden email];
[hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [52N SWE] 52°North Project Names

Hej Arne!

In the Geostatistics Community we made very good experiences with
"Greenland". People remember the name and the product much better.

So +1 on this effort. A common theme could be islands, so Iceland actually
fits there, or maybe Kiska, Adak, Segula, ... [1].

The advantage of Greenland and Iceland is that people actually know that
name already and just must connect it to a new thing, i.e. the software.
I guess that's not the case with "Sakhalin".

/Daniel

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52nd_parallel_north

Am 28.02.2013 15:03, schrieb Arne H. Bröring:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Several times in the past, we came across the confusion with the
> naming of our different projects. Some (or most) of our projects are
> named after the implemented standard (e.g. 52°North "SOS", "SES", or
> "SPS") or they directly describe their core functionality (e.g.
> "Sensor Web Client", or "WPS Client uDig"). Especially using the
> standard name within the project name can cause quite some confusion
> (e.g.: A: "...we are using SOS 4.0." - B: "what? there is again another
SOS spec?").

> Also, if we look at other open source initiatives, we see that
> projects have a brand name (e.g., "Apache Tomcat" isn't called "Apache
> Servlet Container").
>
> On the other hand, our projects have been named the way they are since
> their beginnings (which is quite some time by now) and I'm not sure
> how eager the communities are for labelling them with more catchy
> names. I believe we should at least have a discussion about it.
> So, please tell us your opinion and also your creative name proposals
> are very welcome!
>
> Cheers,
> Arne
>
> PS:
> First proposals for SOS:
> "52°North TEMPORIO"
> "52°North ICELAND" that's Simon's take ;-) "52°North LUCY" that's
> Albert's take and refers to our office dog :-) ...cool would be also a
> common prefix among all project (á la Arc* or i*)...
>
> --
> Dr. Arne Bröring
>
> 52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
>
> Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
> 48155 Muenster, Germany
>
> http://www.52north.org/
>
> Phone: +49 251 396 371 32
> Fax: +49 251 396371-11
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> SWE mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://list.52north.org/mailman/listinfo/swe
> http://sensorweb.forum.52north.org
>


--
Daniel Nüst
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Münster, Germany
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Fon: +49-(0)-251–396371-36
Fax: +49-(0)-251–396371-11

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk Local Court Muenster
HRB 10849 _______________________________________________
SWE mailing list
[hidden email]
http://list.52north.org/mailman/listinfo/swe
http://sensorweb.forum.52north.org


_______________________________________________
Security mailing list
[hidden email]
http://list.52north.org/mailman/listinfo/security
http://security.forum.52north.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [52N SWE] [52N Geoprocessingservices] 52°North Project Names

Arne H. Bröring
In reply to this post by Arne H. Bröring
I agree that only islands names might be too restrictive.
Maybe we can make this discuss a little bit more concrete by talking about names for specific projects (Matthias, any ideas for WPS? :-)

Arne

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Daniel Nüst <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 28.02.2013 16:54, schrieb Matthias Müller:
> We surely won't run out of Islands ;-).
>
> But I am sceptical about a common theme for all software project names -
> it removes distinctness.

Fair point. And I wouldn't do this just for the sake of having new
names, but one after the other, e.g. with new releases.

/Daniel

> Am 28.02.2013 16:39, schrieb Ann Hitchcock:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> +1 for the idea of the islands. Can we come up with enough to cover our
>> projects?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ann
>>
>> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
>> Von: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] Im
>> Auftrag von
>> Daniel Nüst
>> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2013 15:12
>> An: Sensor Web developer communication
>> Cc: "Arne H. Bröring"; [hidden email];
>> [hidden email]
>> Betreff: Re: [52N SWE] 52°North Project Names
>>
>> Hej Arne!
>>
>> In the Geostatistics Community we made very good experiences with
>> "Greenland". People remember the name and the product much better.
>>
>> So +1 on this effort. A common theme could be islands, so Iceland
>> actually
>> fits there, or maybe Kiska, Adak, Segula, ... [1].
>>
>> The advantage of Greenland and Iceland is that people actually know that
>> name already and just must connect it to a new thing, i.e. the software.
>> I guess that's not the case with "Sakhalin".
>>
>> /Daniel
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52nd_parallel_north
>>
>> Am 28.02.2013 15:03, schrieb Arne H. Bröring:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Several times in the past, we came across the confusion with the
>>> naming of our different projects. Some (or most) of our projects are
>>> named after the implemented standard (e.g. 52°North "SOS", "SES", or
>>> "SPS") or they directly describe their core functionality (e.g.
>>> "Sensor Web Client", or "WPS Client uDig"). Especially using the
>>> standard name within the project name can cause quite some confusion
>>> (e.g.: A: "...we are using SOS 4.0." - B: "what? there is again another
>> SOS spec?").
>>> Also, if we look at other open source initiatives, we see that
>>> projects have a brand name (e.g., "Apache Tomcat" isn't called "Apache
>>> Servlet Container").
>>>
>>> On the other hand, our projects have been named the way they are since
>>> their beginnings (which is quite some time by now) and I'm not sure
>>> how eager the communities are for labelling them with more catchy
>>> names. I believe we should at least have a discussion about it.
>>> So, please tell us your opinion and also your creative name proposals
>>> are very welcome!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Arne
>>>
>>> PS:
>>> First proposals for SOS:
>>> "52°North TEMPORIO"
>>> "52°North ICELAND" that's Simon's take ;-) "52°North LUCY" that's
>>> Albert's take and refers to our office dog :-) ...cool would be also a
>>> common prefix among all project (á la Arc* or i*)...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dr. Arne Bröring
>>>
>>> 52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
>>>
>>> Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
>>> 48155 Muenster, Germany
>>>
>>> http://www.52north.org/
>>>
>>> Phone: <a href="tel:%2B49%20251%20396%20371%2032" value="+4925139637132" target="_blank">+49 251 396 371 32
>>> Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49%20251%20396371-11" value="+4925139637111" target="_blank">+49 251 396371-11
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> SWE mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://list.52north.org/mailman/listinfo/swe
>>> http://sensorweb.forum.52north.org
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Daniel Nüst
>> 52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
>> Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
>> 48155 Münster, Germany
>> E-Mail: [hidden email]
>> Fon: <a href="tel:%2B49-%280%29-251%E2%80%93396371-36" value="+4925139637136" target="_blank">+49-(0)-251–396371-36
>> Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49-%280%29-251%E2%80%93396371-11" value="+4925139637111" target="_blank">+49-(0)-251–396371-11
>>
>> http://52north.org/
>> Twitter: @FiveTwoN
>>
>> General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk Local Court
>> Muenster
>> HRB 10849 _______________________________________________
>> _______________________________________________
>> Geoprocessingservices mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://list.52north.org/mailman/listinfo/geoprocessingservices
>> http://geoprocessing.forum.52north.org
>>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Geoprocessingservices mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://list.52north.org/mailman/listinfo/geoprocessingservices
> http://geoprocessing.forum.52north.org
>


--
Daniel Nüst
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Münster, Germany
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Fon: <a href="tel:%2B49-%280%29-251%E2%80%93396371-36" value="+4925139637136" target="_blank">+49-(0)-251–396371-36
Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49-%280%29-251%E2%80%93396371-11" value="+4925139637111" target="_blank">+49-(0)-251–396371-11

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849
_______________________________________________
SWE mailing list
[hidden email]
http://list.52north.org/mailman/listinfo/swe
http://sensorweb.forum.52north.org



--
Dr. Arne Bröring

52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH

Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Muenster, Germany


Phone: <a href="tel:%2B49%20251%20396%20371%2032" value="+4925139637132" target="_blank">+49 251 396 371 32
Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49%20251%20396371-11" value="+4925139637111" target="_blank">+49 251 396371-11


_______________________________________________
Security mailing list
[hidden email]
http://list.52north.org/mailman/listinfo/security
http://security.forum.52north.org
Loading...